Insta

Living in Korea


It's been almost 4 months since I moved to Korea 😃

We initially stayed in Daejeon with his parents and later on moved to Gimpo on our own. We're currently staying in a really cozy 2 bedroom on a higher floor, and on a clear day we can see a small part of the Han River.

I'm finally a housewife now! I can't decide which is better: living the care-free life now, a life free of work-stress, evening calls, work politics VS. a stressful work life but earning a comfortable salary and spending money without any second thoughts. My daily routine starts with making breakfast for kimchi boy at 7 in the morning, followed by an endless marathon of Taiwanese and Korean shows, occasionally I sit by the window to read a book, sometimes a trip to the supermarket nearby, and the day ends with preparing dinner.

It's been a little difficult adapting to life here. It's funny how I seldom meet my friends in Singapore anyway but I feel immensely lonely in Korea. Maybe it's walking on the streets or in the malls, and hearing people speak only in Korean and not understanding the language. Maybe it's not being able to get around or do even the simplest tasks on my own, and having to rely on my husband for even something as simple as buying fresh meat from a butcher. I can't call the English-speaking immigration hotline on my own because they seem to have trouble understanding me (It is my Singaporean accent? 🤔). I secretly have a bit of fear even going to a restaurant because I was once denied ketchup at Lotteria (a popular fast food chain in Korea) and I couldn't understand what the lady at the food counter was trying to say when I asked why I couldn't get ketchup with my fries and burger. Everyone was looking. Sounds silly but it was an uncomfortable and embarrassing experience for me. I had planned to pick up Korean at a language school but put this on hold due to the recent coronavirus outbreak.

Despite all these, I'm still positive this is the right move for us. My husband has been extremely supportive and accommodating ever since we moved here, and I know he is trying his best to make me feel comfortable living here. Right now, I'm just thankful for everything we have ♥

Comments